Sunday, March 13, 2011

NEW 52...a recipe and a confession

I had a lofty goal of eating vegetarian for a week for my New experience. Laughing out loud right about now.  That was an epic fail.  I have no self control apparently.  Plus I'm blaming "Fat Tuesday" in the mix, because I can.

Something I did make and liked was a bean salsa-salad.  Sorry there are no exact measurements, it really is to taste...

Bean Salsa-Salad

Yellow or White corn (1 cup)
Garbonza Beans/Chickpeas (1 cup, 1 can was too much)
Black beans (1 cup of rinsed canned beans)
2-3 Avacados, chopped to small chunks
Tomatoes (I only had 1 Roma, but would use 2 in the future), chopped into small pieces
1/2 onion (I used sweet Walla Walla, because they are good, I would also recommend a purple one), finely diced
chopped cilantro
lime juice (I think I ended up using 1/4 cup mixed with 1-2 Tbsp sugar)

Tossed all in a bowl and served with chips, pretty good stuff.

So my confession...I ate 1 vegetarian meal a day, but couldn't do it for every meal, all week, like I had planned.  Once I decided to do it all I wanted was a hamburger and I caved.  oh well, I would never be a good vegetarian.  BUT I was more concious of what I was eating and tried to be as fresh and healthy as possible.
About This Project: New52 is a project started by Peppermint and Christine and it ..."invites participants to live outside the box a little bit more and try things outside their comfort zone. Sometimes the “new” will present itself to you unwittingly, other times you’ll be seeking it out. My hope is that we can all become inspired by one another’s adventures – perhaps gain the courage to try someone else’s new thing ourselves. Don’t worry if you’re getting a late start or if you miss a week here and there. New52 isn’t about making a life-altering change every week, it’s about keeping an open mind and embracing little changes in your life." (Copied from Peppermint's blog)

To see more of my New 52 experiences check it out on my other blog here.  For more recipes I have discovered during New 52 click the New:52 label and explore away, thanks for playing!  What new thing have you tried this week?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment