Thursday, August 2, 2012

Cast Iron Peach and Raspberry Cobbler

I love cooking with my Cast Iron skillet, but don't do it nearly enough. I also love using  fruit in season when it is cheap and super tasty.  When I saw this recipe on the Lazy Homesteader I decided to give it a go.  It was great, here is my variation:


Peaches, Raspberries
6 Tbsp butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup buttermilk

Peel and slice 2-3 large peaches, wash raspberries (I used about 2 cups of sliced peaches and 1/2 cup raspberries, but this is open for options depending on the type of fruit and how much you like in your cobbler).

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Slice up 6 Tbsp butter and place in bottom of the pan. Set in preheating oven to melt.

Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.  Create a well in the center and pour in milks.  Stir until mixed all together. 

Remove hot skillet from oven when butter has melted and pour batter on top of melted butter.  Spread around slightly to fill to edges but this isn't percise and it's okay if butter come up a bit over the top of batter (as the Lazy Homesteader mentions, this is a LAZY cobbler, which means easy and not precise).

Place fruit evenly on top of batter.  Return to oven and bake for 1 hour.  Serve warm with vanilla icecream.





No comments:

Post a Comment