Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter and the Horcrux Hunt

For the Harry Potter 7.2 premier this past weekend I decided to to an all out final fling.  At my party in November for part 1 I focused on the Hallows, so this time it was all about destroying Horcruxes.

There were six different challenges you had to complete, one for each horcrux.  Everyone had a lanyard representing their house and when eat challenge was complete you could check it off by covering the number with that horcrux's sticker.  There was also a prize at each horcrux for people to take home.  By completing the challenges you were entered into a raffle.

Diary Challenge: Hermione has been petrified by the monster in the chamber of secrets. The only way to reverse the petrification is to grow Mandrakes. In Herbology we are re-potting the mandrakes today. In 1 minute try to dig up and repot all of the mandrakes (24) to help Hermione while Ron and Harry try to save Ginny from the Basilisk in the Chamber of Secrets and destroy Tom Riddle’s Diary. When the challenge is complete make sure to collect your own quill and diary.
I got the pot signs from here and the babies from here.  I wish I had earmuffs but didn't have time to find any (plus it's July!!)...  this was a pretty funny challenge.  The favors were little covered notebooks and a small quill tied together with a leather string.


 Ring Challenge: Throw on a witch hat and the object of the game is to toss a ring on your opponents hat. Dumbledore has destroyed the ring but make sure to gather a resurrection stone magnet or hair clip before moving on to the next challenge.

I saw a game like this in college and you can actually buy an official one online, but I just made my own using black posterboard for the hats, and glowstick bracelets for the rings.  It was hilarious!!  I made the resurrection stone magnets by glueing the symbol onto flattened dark green marbles and then glueing those onto magnets using regular tacky craft glue.  They turned out awesome.  The hair clips were the same but small and clear, glued onto bobby pins from oriental trading company.

Locket Challenge: The Locket is at the bottom of the bowl and to collect it you need to drop marbles at nose level into the bowl. Take turns  with your partner and the person with the most marbles in the cup with the locket wins! Make sure to pick up one Harry Potter flair when you complete the challenge.
This was inspired by a minute to win it game called, "Drop, Sink, Clink"...  I picked up the locket on clearance from Hot Topic and used 3 candle votives in the bottom of a plastic bucket.  Instead of quarters we dropped flattened marbles.  I got the Harry Potter flair buttons from Mud in My Blood on etsy.  She has amazing selections of Harry Potter stuff, check her out, and "like" her on facebook for discount coupons codes.

Diadem Challenge: The Ravenclaws are wise and clever. Complete the word search and “Who Said” quiz to complete the challenge. Make sure to grab a book mark since those Ravenclaws love to read!

I found all of the quotes for "Who said" by searching favorite character's quotes online and from here.  The word search is one that Kellie and I worked on months ago by altering one we had found online.  My sister weaved the bookmarks.


Hufflepuff Cup Challenge: When Harry, Ron, and Hermione searched the LeStrange’s vault at Gringotts for the Hufflepuff cup everything they touched multiplied. Split into 2 teams and play the memory game. At the end of the game enjoy a butterbeer or Dark Mark cupcake! Hufflepuff’s apparently love cupcakes.


How shall I prepare thee on this summer day?
Unfrosted, thou art sweet;
Frosted, thou art divine.
Food of the gods,
Like ambrosia to me.
Each bite:
Perfection!
Unusual though it may be,
Forever shall I sing thy praises.
Fantastic; most splendid! My cupcake are thee!

I can't remember where I got this poem SORRY if it was from you!  To make the memory game I found all of the pictures at the Leaky Cauldron and picked out the ones that related to horcruxes.  For the Dark Mark cupcakes I made picks with a dark mark I found on google and the cupcakes were just triple chocolate with buttercream frosting and black sprinkles.  The butterbeer cupcakes were catered by my friend Thu and were absolutely incredible.  She picked up her recipe here


Nagini Challenge: When most people have completed the challenges we will re-enact the slaying of Nagini by Neville. Grab the sorting hat and the sword of Gryffindor and give it a try!

For this challenge I picked up a sword from oriental trading company, grabbed my sorting hat, and altered a Dragon pinata to be a snake by cutting off its legs and covering it with dark green crepe paper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment