Monday, May 30, 2011

Classic Apple Pie

I am trying to use up ingredients I have around the house before I leave for Cambodia next week so last night I looked at my pre-made pie crusts, and the 3 apples I had laying around and decided to just go for a simple apple pie.  I had never made an apple pie with a top crust before.  After searching around I found this recipe on allrecipes.com.  The original recipe was for apple pie filling you could freeze and use as needed, thus it is for 5 pies.  I scaled it down and adjusted a bit and this is what I came up with...

3 large apples, sliced thinly (peel as desired, I didn't)
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 cups water

Thinly slice the apples and mix with lemon juice in a bowl.  In a pot mix together dry ingredients and add water.  Whisk until boiling and boil for 2 minutes.  Stir in apples and bring to boil again.  Turn down heat, and simmer 6 minutes until thickened and apples are soft.  Cool for 20-30 minutes.

Make (or in my case roll out) pie crust into pie dish.  Pour in filling (it's okay if it is still warm) and cover with top crust, cutting slits.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 25-35 minutes until crust is browned on top and golden on bottom (if you have a glass pie dish and can see it of course).

For extra flavor and presentation I whisked one egg with 1 Tbsp cinnamon-sugar mix and brushed the top of the pie with mixture before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment