Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Stuffed Mushrooms

1 lb. large mushrooms
4 Tbsp butter
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup finely minced ham
1 small clove garlic, finely minced (1 Tbsp preminced garlic)
2 cups coarsely chopped baby spinach
1 cup fresh bread crumbs ( I buy the ones that are dry at the store premade for stuffing)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese


Wash and trim the end of stems from mushrooms, scoop out stem and middle of mushroom.  Chop stems and set aside. Spray a shallow 8x8 baking dish or as I perfer grease a mini cupcake pan (the mushrooms fit nicely in the little cubbies with cooking spray.  Brush each mushroom with melted butter (2 Tbsp) and place in pan.
Heat remaining 2 Tbsp of butter in a skillet. Chop green onions; combine with reserved chopped mushroom stems, ham and garlic. Add to skillet along with the spinach and sauté until tender. Add bread crumbs, salt, and pepper to vegetable mixture; stir well (To moisten the bread crumbs since I buy the ones ready for stuffing I use just a Tbsp of cream or milk).  Fill each mushroom cap with a little of the stuffing, mounding up. Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350° for about 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and mushroom caps are tender.

These are super good and can be prepared ahead and then refridgerated prior to  baking.

1 comment: