Friday, November 19, 2010

Harry Potter Party Food 2010-Savory dishes

Previous Harry Potter foods can be found here. 


Another Harry Potter movie has come and gone and here are some of the delightful foods we ate.  This post will be main dishes. 

Since it's getting cold outside I decided to make some soups/stews.  I adapted these recipes out of the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook.  These are adapted recipes to serve more people and make into a crock pot.  I highly recommend checking out the original book for some interesting and fun recipes.

Kreacher's French Onion Soup
2 large onions
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup white sugar
8 cups beef broth
1 tsp salt

Slice onions into thin round rings.   In a crockpot stir together beef broth, sugar, pepper, and salt.  Add onion slices seperating them into individual rings.  Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.  Onions should carmalize.  Top with cheesy croutons.

Croutons:  Thinly slice a baguette.  Butter and sprinkle with parmesean cheese.  Toast in the oven under the broiler for a couple of minutes keeping an eye on them so they don't burn.  Float atop soup when served.

Mrs. Weasley's Beef Stew

2 lbs chuck steak cut into 1 inch pieces
1 onion chopped
1 (14oz) can Chicken broth
1 cup water
1 cup coca-cola
2 Tbsp Tomato paste
2 tsp ground sage
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon
6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 medium sized carrots, peeled and sliced

Brown the beef in 2 Tbsp veggie oil to seal in the juice (can also brown onions at this step which I forgot to do).    Chop your vegetables.  Mix together broth, water, and coca-cola in a large crock pot (I believe mine is a 10 quart).  Add meat, tomato paste, onions, potatos, and carrots (if making this in a pot instead of crock-pot,  it says to simmer meat and seasonings for an hour first before adding veggies).  Pour over lemon juice and add sage.  Cook on high for 4-6 hours until meat is cooked through and veggies are tender.  Monitor for thickness/wetness and add flour or cornstarch as needed to thicken water, or more water if getting too dry.  I sprinkled about 1/4 cup of flour over top when there was about an hour left and stirred.  Serve with bread and season with salt and pepper to taste.  The main way I changed this dish besides using a crock pot is that the original calls for 1/4 cup of chopped prunes.  Wait, what?  Prunes in stew? Must be a British or Irish thing.


Another Savory dish I made was Snapes Stuffed Mushrooms.  I previously posted that recipe here.

2 comments:

  1. I am planning an HP movie marathon-so these recipes will really help me out! Thank you so much for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soo much! I am going to use these for my Food Tech GCSE!!!!

    theteensthatbake.blogpot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete