This is a delicious dish my neighbor Teresa made for us everytime my mom had a baby. I have always wondered what it was called, and how to make it and I finally got the recipe. They are a meat filled pastry of the German/Russian influence.Here you go:
Bierochs (or Bierocks)
Bread dough (Rhoades rolls, regular or texas size are the easy way to do it)
Ground beef or turkey
chopped onion
sliced mushrooms
shredded cabbage
pepper
Grated cheese
(there are no quantities, because this is a as much as you want or don't want type recipe)
Brown the meat, add onion, mushrooms, cabbage, and pepper to taste.
Thaw and flatten bread dough after it has doubled in size.
Put some shredded cheese in the middle, and scoop some meat and cabbage mixture on top.
Pinch the ends together to close the roll.
Place on greased cookie sheet and bake according to bread dough directions, generally at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until brown.
Enjoy!
For an alternative recipe with dough and measurements go here.
I love the "stuff inside a bread ball" format of food.
ReplyDelete