Saturday, April 13, 2013

Ding Dong Cake.

My roommate Melissa loves Ding-dongs so when I saw this recipe on Pinterest I knew I had to make it for her birthday.  I adjusted the cream filling a bit to make it sweeter and changed the frosting to an easy chocolate ganache because ganache is just delightful.


This filling can be used for any of those Hostess treats (ie. Cupcakes, Suzy Q's, Twinkies, ding dongs, cake rolls, etc).  Warning:  Nothing about this filling/cake is good for you. You have been warned. Also read all the way through before making to see some options.

"Hostess" cream filling

1 cup milk
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup butter, softened 
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar  (as needed)
 
Stir together milk and flour on medium heat in a heavy bottom saucepan until thick.  Set aside to cool.  Beat in a mixing bowl, butter and shortening for 4 minutes.  Add sugar and vanilla and beat an additional 4 minutes.  Beat in milk/flour mixture for another 4 minutes.  Taste, and if you desire a bit more sweetness add powdered sugar.
 
I made a devils food cake in 2 round pans. Layered the cream on top of one cake and topped with the other.  For the ganache heat up 1 cup heavy whipping cream in a sauce pan with 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips.  Stir until smooth and set aside to cool. 
 
 
What I should/could have done:  Left the layered cake on a cooling rack over a rimmed baking sheet and poured cooled ganache over entire cooled cake and let set, to make a smooth coating.
 
What I did:  Cooled the ganache in the refrigerator until thickened and  then frosted the cake.  This still tastes awesome and looks cool but doesn't look like a ding-dong with a smooth coating due to the cream oozing out the side and mixing with the ganache.  It still tasted awesome though.
 
 
 

1 comment: