Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Fresh Orange and Cranberry Muffins

I had a bag of fresh cranberries and am still on an orange eating kick and decided to make some muffins. 

I was nervous they would be too tart but they were surprisingly perfect.

Orange and Cranberry Muffins

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh cranberries
1 egg
3/4-1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup veg. oil
1 tsp grated Orange rind

1.  Mix together dry ingredients.
2.  Juice 1 and 1/2 large oranges (this will come to between 3/4 and 1 cup of juice which was perfect.  3/4 cup --one orange--left the dough too thick so I ended up juicing 1/2 more orange). Set aside.
3.  Chop fresh cranberries into chunks to equal 1 cup.
4.  Stir cranberries into flour mixture.
5.  In a small bowl whisk together egg, orange juice, oil, and grated orange rind (which I grated from the oranges I juiced).
6.  Pour into flour mixture and stir until all dough is moistened.
7.  Spoon into greased muffin tin (works better than using cup liners) about 3/4 full.  Makes approx. 15 muffins.  Sprinkle with some sugar on top and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment